Saturday, January 26, 2008

'Tis Not the Season



A wall of Valentine's Day candy greeted me at the grocery store the other day. I started to think through a possible item for this blog on how it is we have come to celebrate a couple of early Christian martyrs and earlier fertility rituals with candy and racy greeting cards. But then I realized that this would be scope creep for a blog whose focus was and should remain Christmas.

I had similar a thought in line at the Starbucks near my office, which has been serving Decaf Christmas Blend all week -- no doubt to deplete its stock before the first flowers of spring begin to bud. Does the Christmas season ever really end?

With such musings in mind, Christine and I will put this blog on ice -- and possibly return later this year, when the red coffee cups of the winter holidays, decorated with snowflakes, make their inevitable return. Perhaps in mid October.

Until then, Merry Christmas.

(Candy Heart made at http://www.cryptogram.com/hearts/)

1 comment:

June Carter Peep said...

Speaking of rampant commercialization of holidays and books by a similar name, you probably would like to visit my sites:

peepoftheday.blogspot.com
peepgrowsinbrooklyn.blogspot.com

Peep! Peep! Peep!